Will oppose JPC draft report if Raja not allowed to depose: SP
New Delhi: Samajwadi Party, which extends crucial outside support to UPA, Thursday said it would "oppose" the JPC draft report if former telecom minister A Raja is not allowed to personally depose before it, but ruled out siding with BJP in demanding removal of P C Chacko as chairman of the committee.
In perhaps its first public reaction to the draft report which gives a clean chit to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram, the party said, "We can`t go with the BJP" in demanding Chacko`s removal.
"But we wish to state clearly that A Raja should be given an opportunity to appear before the Committee. If not, then we will oppose the (draft) report," SP leader Naresh Agarwal told reporters outside Parliament House.
On Tuesday, SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav had told his MPs that the draft report was "one sided" as Raja was not given an opportunity to appear before the JPC. He had also said that courts allow an accused to present his views and the former telecom minister should be allowed to give his side of picture.
The draft report has indicted Raja of misleading the prime minister while taking decisions on spectrum allocation in 2008.
After the draft report came in the public domain, Raja wrote to the panel saying he had informed the PM on "every major decision" he took with regard to spectrum allocation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video