With Mamata out, Left tilts in favour of Pranab
New Delhi: The Left parties also appeared to be gravitating towards Pranab Mukherjee as the next occupant of Rashtrapati Bhavan on Friday.
Minutes after the veteran Congress leader was named as UPA’s candidate, CPM Politburo member Brinda Karat congratulated Pranab.
1. It is well known that Pranab’s appeal cuts across party lines and he has admirers within the Left – he had in fact called up former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Mukherjee to seek his support.
2. The Left would want to support Pranab just to rub it in to Mamata, who stands isolated today.
Moreover, the Left would now seek to rejuvenate itself in Bengal by taking credit for having played a part in ensuring the first Bengali president of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter