Woman MP criticises Shinde for naming rape victims
Thiruvananthapuram: All India Democratic Women`s Association Vice President and Rajya Sabha member TN Seema on Saturday criticised Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde for his "insensitivity" in naming the minor victims of Bhandara rape case in Maharashtra.
Shinde violated the Section 228A of the IPC by revealing the names of the three rape victims during a debate in the Upper House on Friday, she said in a statement in Thiruvananthapuram.
"The Bhandara rape and murder of three sisters, within less than two months after the Delhi gang rape, highlights the widespread nature of crimes against women in the country and to top it all Home Minister Shinde disclosed the names of rape victims forgetting Section 228A of the IPC," she said.
"His insensitivity is clearly displayed by a general statement about the whole incident," the CPI(M)`s women wing leader said.
She also criticised the "initial delay" shown by Maharashtra police in registering the FIR of the girls going missing on February 14. "Despite the police forming more than 15 teams and officers of the ranks of ADGP and IG being assigned to the case, the culprits are still to be arrested," she said.
She also asked Maharashtra Chief Minister to speed up investigations to nab the culprits. Shinde on Friday ordered a probe into how the names figured in the statement he made.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?