Yamuna expected to cross danger level
New Delhi: Threat of floods in certain areas
of East Delhi loomed large as water level in Yamuna rose on Tuesday
following release of over six lakh cusecs of water into the
river by Haryana, prompting Delhi Government to take several
Fearing a flood-like situation, the city Government
appealed to people living in low-lying areas to move to safer
places and directed concerned agencies to put up tents as well
as coordinate their efforts in combating any eventualities.
Delhi Revenue and Flood Control Minister AK Walia, after
a meeting with senior officials of various agencies, said a
total of 6.22 lakh cusecs of water was released from Hathini
Kund barrage in Haryana into Yamuna, which is likely to take
40 hours to reach Delhi.
He said water level in Yamuna has touched 203.64 metres
and it may cross the danger level of 204.83 metres soon.
In the meeting, Walia took stock of the situation and
directed divisional commissioner, deputy commissioners and
officials of the Irrigation and Flood Control department to
closely monitor the situation and asked them to evacuate
people from low lying areas.
"We may have a flood like situation when the waterdischarged by Haryana reaches here," Walia said.
He said control rooms have been activated in several
areas and government has made all the arrangements and is
ready with men and material to address any eventuality of any
kind of breach.
"It is expected that Yamuna will cross the danger level
and may go upto 206.0 metres causing floods in several areas,"
said an official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials