China driving development of `Internet of Things`: Report
Paris: China is in the forefront of the development of an "Internet of Things", leading the way with the number of machine-to-machine connections and opening a new market for operators, a study showed today.
In the past four years the number of machine-to-machine connections via mobile networks has grown by 35 per cent annually and now accounts for more than 3 per cent of total mobile connections, according to the GSMA association of mobile operators.
China has lead the way and accounts for 40 per cent of the total mobile machine-to-machine connections, ahead of the United States and Japan combined.
Hooking up machines via mobile networks has already allowed for deployment of systems which allow for real-time monitoring of the location of buses, systems which direct drivers to free parking spots, and energy meters which report consumption automatically.
Regulatory uncertainty has held back the deployment of machine-to-machine applications in some countries, while in China support from the government which has made development an "Internet of
Things" a top priority has led to the market quickly reaching a critical mass, said the GSMA.
"A rapidly developing and urbanising country, China is looking to use information and communications technologies to make its fast expanding cities smarter and enable a better quality of life for their citizens," said the report.
The Chinese government plans to invest more than USD 600 billion in the sector through 2020, it added.
China`s three mobile operators see the rapid growth in the segment continuing and are looking at rolling out applications in the agriculture, healthcare, automotive, retail and consumer electronics sectors.
With growth in traditional voice subscribers having slowed in many developed countries, mobile operators have been looking at developing other services to expand their businesses.
The GSMA study found that China`s three mobile operators were using machine-to-machine technology to develop new revenue streams and move up the value chain as they are usually developing the systems in cooperation with clients instead of just selling connectivity.
The GSMA expects the number of mobile machine-to-machine connections to hit 242 million by the end of this year, which excludes consumer electronic devices using mobile networks like smartphones, tablets, and e-readers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`