China to curb online phishing
Beijing: China`s ten major search engines have agreed to put banks` official homepages at the top of search results in a bid to curb cyber scams, authorities said.
The move was jointly pushed by Ministry of Public Security, banking industry organizations and several commercial banks in response to growing public concerns over the safety of online accounts and transactions since 2010, a statement said.
Phishing attacks, or financial fraud schemes, are generally done through fraudulent websites that appear legitimate by using web addresses or log-in webpage designs similar to banks` official Internet banking service portals.
Phishing victims are often fooled by fraudulent links turned out by search engines, reported Xinhua. Upon entering such sites, customers are asked to verify their account information by entering usernames and passwords.
The first batch of financial institutions covered by this new precaution scheme includes five major state-owned banks and two financial organizations, the statement said.
Moreover, some search portals have added an official logo to each bank`s legitimate link to make it "remarkably different" from unauthorized results.
A series of hacking cases this week stirred strong public concern.
Millions of personal details of subscribers to several websites, including CSDN, the
country`s largest programmers` website, and popular online gaming and social networking sites, were leaked.
A police report on Thursday said that applicants` information leaked from a government database in the southern province of Guangdong due to technical loopholes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you