Facebook testing Twitter-like trending topics section
Zee Media Bureau/Ritu Singh
New Delhi: Facebook is on a major experimentation trip these days. To make Facebook even more useful and popular, Facebook is testing new things, the latest being the Trending Topics section.
Taking a cue from Twitter, it rolled out the Hashtags (key words in posts that are marked by “#”) last month and now it has begun testing a “trending” topics section in the homepage news feed of its website. This section will be similar to rival website Twitter’s `trends box` which showcases topics, including hashtags, which enumerates the popular and emerging issues.
Both the hashtags and trends features are regarded as prime source to track latest news and dominant trends and opinion.
This new development was confirmed by a Facebook spokeswoman. She informed that this new feature is currently available to a small percentage of US users, and also added that further details would be given to the media if the feature is to be released widely.
“We are running a small test of a unit on News Feed,” she said. “Right now it only available to a small percentage of US users and it is still in the early stages of development.”
The test, which began on Thursday, highlights the soaring tussle between Facebook and Twitter to be the dominant destination for live, real-time conversations online. Now the battle between Twitter and Facebook will be fierce as to who will be more successful in becoming the hub of latest news and events and who will attract more advertisers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city