Google launches Chrome-based notebooks
New York: Internet search engine giant Google on Wednesday announced the launch of "Chromebooks", a Chrome operating system-based notebook PC that will be available online from June 15, in a move that could affect the market
share of existing players like Microsoft and Apple.
Chromebooks made by Samsung and Acer will be available online from June 15 in the US, UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Spain, Google Inc said, adding that more countries will follow in the coming months.
Chromebooks will be different from traditional notebooks.
In a Chromebook, tasks such as installing software, runninganti-virus checks and data back-up would be handled by the always-on cloud services offered by Google.
Cloud computing services can be broadly defined as virtual servers available over the Internet.
"These are not typical notebooks. With a Chromebook, you won`t wait minutes for your computer to boot and browser to start. You`ll be reading your email in seconds," Google said.
Applications, games, photos, music, movies and documents will be accessible wherever the user is.
For the last two years Google has been advocating its Chrome operating system as an alternative to Microsoft Windows.
Some of the other features of Chromebooks include very long battery life, optional 3G -- whereby the user can use theweb when there is a need -- and many layers of security built n so there is no anti-virus software to buy and maintain.
Google also announced the launch of Chromebooks for usiness and education, for which monthly subscriptions will tart at USD 28/user for businesses and USD 20/user for chools.
"Chromebooks bring you all of Chrome`s speed, simplicity nd security without the headaches of operating systems esigned 20 to 30 years ago," Google said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000