Govt departments, ISPs alerted about cyber attack on August 15
New Delhi: Cyber security division NCIIPC has alerted government departments and leading internet service providers about a possible cyber attack on the Independence Day and has suggested a series of measures to prevent these attacks.
"It has been observed that Indian cyberspace traditionally comes under attack by adversaries on dates of national importance such as 15th August ... In the current year August 15 is falling on Friday, followed by a 2-3 days break. It is possible that an adversary may try and take advantage of these circumstances," National Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Centre (NCIIPC) said in an advisory.
The centre has been created to handle cyber security of critical infrastructure such as defence, power, banks and railways, in the country. Almost entire key infrastructure is using computer and Internet.
NCIIPC said that attacks or attempts are traditionally preceded by reconnaissance of websites or system in an attempt to probe for weaknesses in them which can be identified with help of experts or even by the centre.
The centre has asked government departments and companies to review authorisation issued by them for remote access of their system and update softwares in the system.
"In case of a successful compromise or defacement, it is strongly recommended that compromised or defaced system be examined to determine methodology employed by the attacker.
These vulnerabilities must be closed before the back-up system is brought online," the advisory said.
NCIIPC will provide round the clock assistant to handle cyber attacks, it said.
Indian Computer Emergency Response Team has reported 13,301, 22,060, 71,780 and 62,189 security incidents in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 (till May) respectively.
The majority of these attacks have been observed to be originating from the cyber space of a number of countries including the US, Europe, Brazil, Turkey, China, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Algeria and the UAE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details