Hackers target 90,000 WordPress blogs
Washington: Unidentified group of hackers have reportedly launched a large-scale attack against WordPress blogs.
The attacks began last week, and have affected more than 90,000 blogs so far.
The hackers behind the attacks have combed through WordPress accounts and attempted to guess passwords via brute force.
According to the report, the ultimate goal of the botnet is a mystery; having administrative access to a number of blogs is not that useful in and of itself.
However, a network of over 90,000 compromised machines can wreak all sorts of havoc, especially in denial-of-service attacks.
Matt Mullenweg, a WordPress founder, explained in his blog that hackers had been targeting users who never changed the "admin" username for their account - in retrospect, an obvious security risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!