Hackers target 90,000 WordPress blogs
Washington: Unidentified group of hackers have reportedly launched a large-scale attack against WordPress blogs.
The attacks began last week, and have affected more than 90,000 blogs so far.
The hackers behind the attacks have combed through WordPress accounts and attempted to guess passwords via brute force.
According to the report, the ultimate goal of the botnet is a mystery; having administrative access to a number of blogs is not that useful in and of itself.
However, a network of over 90,000 compromised machines can wreak all sorts of havoc, especially in denial-of-service attacks.
Matt Mullenweg, a WordPress founder, explained in his blog that hackers had been targeting users who never changed the "admin" username for their account - in retrospect, an obvious security risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Brazil police say IOC's Patrick Hickey discussed illegal ticket sales
- TCS settles Orange County lawsuit for $26 mn; shares down
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials
- US condemns North Korea missile test-fire, calls it 'provocation'
- Naxal killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh's Sukma