Hackers target 90,000 WordPress blogs
Washington: Unidentified group of hackers have reportedly launched a large-scale attack against WordPress blogs.
The attacks began last week, and have affected more than 90,000 blogs so far.
The hackers behind the attacks have combed through WordPress accounts and attempted to guess passwords via brute force.
According to the report, the ultimate goal of the botnet is a mystery; having administrative access to a number of blogs is not that useful in and of itself.
However, a network of over 90,000 compromised machines can wreak all sorts of havoc, especially in denial-of-service attacks.
Matt Mullenweg, a WordPress founder, explained in his blog that hackers had been targeting users who never changed the "admin" username for their account - in retrospect, an obvious security risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez