Hackers target 90,000 WordPress blogs
Washington: Unidentified group of hackers have reportedly launched a large-scale attack against WordPress blogs.
The attacks began last week, and have affected more than 90,000 blogs so far.
The hackers behind the attacks have combed through WordPress accounts and attempted to guess passwords via brute force.
According to the report, the ultimate goal of the botnet is a mystery; having administrative access to a number of blogs is not that useful in and of itself.
However, a network of over 90,000 compromised machines can wreak all sorts of havoc, especially in denial-of-service attacks.
Matt Mullenweg, a WordPress founder, explained in his blog that hackers had been targeting users who never changed the "admin" username for their account - in retrospect, an obvious security risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information