Half a billion Android devices activated: Google
San Francisco: Google Wednesday announced that 500 million devices running on its Android operating system have been activated so far.
"Today is a big day for Android... 500 million devices activated globally, over 1.3 million added every single day," Hugo Bara, Google Android`s director of product management, said in a Google+ post.
In June, Google said 400 million Android devices had been activated and the rate was 1 million per day, reported Xinhua.
Google announced the milestone just before Apple unveiled iPhone 5.
The latest smartphone from Apple features a bigger screen and support for LTE network, both of which have been available on smartphones using Android system for more than a year.
According to latest data from research firm IDC, there were four Android phones for every iPhone shipped during the second quarter of this year. It is up from a ratio of 2.5 to 1 during the same period last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what