Half a billion Android devices activated: Google
San Francisco: Google Wednesday announced that 500 million devices running on its Android operating system have been activated so far.
"Today is a big day for Android... 500 million devices activated globally, over 1.3 million added every single day," Hugo Bara, Google Android`s director of product management, said in a Google+ post.
In June, Google said 400 million Android devices had been activated and the rate was 1 million per day, reported Xinhua.
Google announced the milestone just before Apple unveiled iPhone 5.
The latest smartphone from Apple features a bigger screen and support for LTE network, both of which have been available on smartphones using Android system for more than a year.
According to latest data from research firm IDC, there were four Android phones for every iPhone shipped during the second quarter of this year. It is up from a ratio of 2.5 to 1 during the same period last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley