Half a billion Android devices activated: Google
San Francisco: Google Wednesday announced that 500 million devices running on its Android operating system have been activated so far.
"Today is a big day for Android... 500 million devices activated globally, over 1.3 million added every single day," Hugo Bara, Google Android`s director of product management, said in a Google+ post.
In June, Google said 400 million Android devices had been activated and the rate was 1 million per day, reported Xinhua.
Google announced the milestone just before Apple unveiled iPhone 5.
The latest smartphone from Apple features a bigger screen and support for LTE network, both of which have been available on smartphones using Android system for more than a year.
According to latest data from research firm IDC, there were four Android phones for every iPhone shipped during the second quarter of this year. It is up from a ratio of 2.5 to 1 during the same period last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Donald Trump calls for immediate closure of ''corrupt'' Clinton Foundation
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Japan's first lady makes first visit to Pearl Harbor