Half a billion Android devices activated: Google
San Francisco: Google Wednesday announced that 500 million devices running on its Android operating system have been activated so far.
"Today is a big day for Android... 500 million devices activated globally, over 1.3 million added every single day," Hugo Bara, Google Android`s director of product management, said in a Google+ post.
In June, Google said 400 million Android devices had been activated and the rate was 1 million per day, reported Xinhua.
Google announced the milestone just before Apple unveiled iPhone 5.
The latest smartphone from Apple features a bigger screen and support for LTE network, both of which have been available on smartphones using Android system for more than a year.
According to latest data from research firm IDC, there were four Android phones for every iPhone shipped during the second quarter of this year. It is up from a ratio of 2.5 to 1 during the same period last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter