How to minimize personal risk of hacking
Wellington: People can follow some simple steps to minimize the risk of getting their personal information hacked, a New Zealand-based security has said.
According to Paul Matthews, chief executive of the Institute of IT Professionals, one should always log out from the account after checking emails, instead of just closing the browser window.
Matthews recommends that if you suspect you`ve been targeted by a hack attack go straight to your email account and log out, as this cuts access to your account.
Don`t click `remember me` or similar buttons to save your login details. It`s a bit more of hassle to log in each time you want to email, but it`s safer, he said.
According to Stuff.co.nz, Matthews advised to exercise a little suspicion when clicking on a link, particularly if it`s a link in an otherwise blank email, or the message seems generic, slightly weird and/or has spelling and grammar errors.
The report pointed out some other measures, such as: don`t enter your details into a website unless you are sure it is genuine, never visit your bank, email or other important site by clicking on a supplied link, type in the website address instead.
People are also not advised to reply to, click on any links, or contact any email addresses or phone numbers in spam emails.
If you have fallen victim to a phishing attack, change your password as soon as possible, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof