Japan seeking US assistance to obtain counter cyber attack capability
Tokyo: Japan is reportedly seeking to curb the increased cyberattacks on the nation`s government systems and in a bid to have the ability to counter the attacks by a foreign nation, it is mulling over plans to cooperate with the US that has the most sophisticated counterattack technology.
A source said that the ability would include being able to attack a server in self-defense if government computer systems were attacked.
According to a local news daily, the Japanese government plans to set up a `cyberdefense task force` within the Self-Defense Forces next March and the defense ministry along with other government agencies have begun compiling concrete measures to wage a counterattack.
The source said that the Japanese officials are considering waging distributed denial-of-service attacks that send huge amounts of data to offending servers.
A senior official has pointed that US cooperation is indispensable for such a task because identifying the source of cyberattack requires very sophisticated computer technology.
However, as counterattacks can also violate a Japanese law banning unauthorized access to servers and computers, the government is also planning to scrutinize the legal problems that might arise in obtaining counterattack capability, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves