Now, 2b pixel image of Everest that lets you zoom in as if you were on it
London: A climber and filmmaker has created a stunning mosaic of images to show the effect of climate change on the area surrounding Mount Everest.
The 477 individual images that make up the gigapixel image of the Khumbu glacier were captured by David Breashears during the spring of 2012, from the Pumori viewpoint near Mount Everest.
“The Khumbu Icefall is clearly visible here, and one can easily see the hustle and bustle of Everest Base Camp below,” the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.
The incredible image is made up of 477 images taken with a 300-millimeter lens.
Breashears and his team stitched them together to create one massive image that users can zoom in and out of.
“It’s just extraordinary and we’re so excited by that image, and people love clicking on things and zooming in,” he said.
“We want to tell the bigger story of climate change in the area, and we are working with Microsoft and the Royal Geographical Society on this.
“Just 1/100th of our imagery is on the site, and the storytelling possibilities are incredible - people love to move things.
“It started out as a simple concept, and every time we visit we find out more - this is not even the tip of the iceberg, we want to take people all over the mountain with 120,000 pictures from a helicopter in the region.
“We are building this with Microsoft, and we could soon be able to combine the old and new pictures so people can virtually ‘swipe’ images to see how they looked in the past,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday