Tumblr users threaten exodus over Yahoo takeover news
Sydney: Hours after Yahoo announced its acquisition of Tumblr for 1.1 billion dollars, the latter`s users have started posting threats about exiting from the site.
Tumblr users describe the site where they got to be themselves with no ads, or tailored blogs to suit the interests of the users, if Yahoo acquires it, Tumblr is likely to undergo change and not remain the same ad-free site.
According to a report by News.com, the site records very little personal information and is one of the last bastions of privacy on the Internet.
In order to keep Tumblr profitable and popular, Yahoo will have to take quick steps and is eyeing more users from the key group of 18-24 years.
Tumblr has more than 107 million blogs, 50 billion postings in 12 languages and 175 employees and is listed 32 in terms of global popularity.
The reports added that the users found Tumblr as the only safe haven where they could share their thoughts in an ad free zone.
Despite selling profitable themes for its blog users, Tumblr hasn`t been able to turn the revenue tap as Facebook has. The site`s owner David Karp had no interest in putting ads on the network.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory