UK artists compile Google dictionary
London: London-based artists have taken the typical 21,000 words found in an average dictionary, and then searched every one through Google Images to give an “unfiltered, uncritical record” of human culture in 2012.
Heyes and West threw whatever the first result was for each word straight onto the page.
The result is a 1,240-page tome, printed out and bound together, with the Google logo embossed in gold on the front.
Not that this is a book you may want on your coffee table - thanks to the gruesome medical photos, pornography and racism found on roughly half the pages.
“I would estimate about half of the book is revolting medical photos, porn, racism or bad cartoons,” the Daily Mail quoted Ben West as telling the Creative Applications Network, said.
“It’s really an unfiltered, uncritical record of the state of human culture in 2012,” he said.
The duo, who are students at Kingston University, spent about 500 pounds getting the book together, but they do hope to create a paperback version in the future.
Speaking separately to The Star, Felix Heyes, 21, said “about 15 to 20 percent” of the book makes sense.
For those readers envisioning a Samuel Johnson-style painstaking cutting-and-pasting of each word to create the dictionary, a little modern-day computer programming came to their aid.
West`s brother wrote a piece of “PHP” code that captured and downloaded the first image for every word, and then another piece of code aligned the images in order into a PDF document.
However, there was still a lot of labour involved, as the pair bound the book themselves using instructions gleaned from YouTube.
“It was relatively straightforward - it just took us a while,” Hayes added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo