UK artists compile Google dictionary
London: London-based artists have taken the typical 21,000 words found in an average dictionary, and then searched every one through Google Images to give an “unfiltered, uncritical record” of human culture in 2012.
Heyes and West threw whatever the first result was for each word straight onto the page.
The result is a 1,240-page tome, printed out and bound together, with the Google logo embossed in gold on the front.
Not that this is a book you may want on your coffee table - thanks to the gruesome medical photos, pornography and racism found on roughly half the pages.
“I would estimate about half of the book is revolting medical photos, porn, racism or bad cartoons,” the Daily Mail quoted Ben West as telling the Creative Applications Network, said.
“It’s really an unfiltered, uncritical record of the state of human culture in 2012,” he said.
The duo, who are students at Kingston University, spent about 500 pounds getting the book together, but they do hope to create a paperback version in the future.
Speaking separately to The Star, Felix Heyes, 21, said “about 15 to 20 percent” of the book makes sense.
For those readers envisioning a Samuel Johnson-style painstaking cutting-and-pasting of each word to create the dictionary, a little modern-day computer programming came to their aid.
West`s brother wrote a piece of “PHP” code that captured and downloaded the first image for every word, and then another piece of code aligned the images in order into a PDF document.
However, there was still a lot of labour involved, as the pair bound the book themselves using instructions gleaned from YouTube.
“It was relatively straightforward - it just took us a while,” Hayes added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now