12-hour Dimapur bandh affects life
Kohima: Barring some minor incidents of violence, normal life came to a standstill in Dimapur, the commercial hub of Nagaland, following a 12-hour bandh called by the Nagaland Foothill Road Coordination Committee (NFHRCC) on Monday.
Some minor scuffle and stone pelting between volunteers of NFHRCC and some anti-bandh groups occurred at Chumukedima and 5th Mile and some other areas in the town during the initial hour of the bandh which began at 6 AM, Dimapur Additional Superintendent of Police, Wati Ao said.
Police had to fire tear gas at 5th Mile and Chumukedima areas to disperse two clashing groups, Ao said.
"The situation was brought under control by afternoon," he said.
All business establishments, educational institutions and privates offices remained closed, while attendance in government offices was also poor because of the bandh, official source said.
The bandh has been called by the NFHRCC as its meeting with the Cabinet Sub-Committee (CSC) on Foothill Road Construction of the state government failed to arrive at a workable solution during a meeting held in Kohima on Saturday.
NFHRCC has expressed dissatisfaction with the Public Welfare Department (Road and Bridges) for altering its stand ?every now and then? on the contract works for the foothill roads, NFHRCC convener Supu Jamir said.
The NFHRCC defied the state government order issued through the Deputy Commissioner Dimapur disallowing the bandh. The DC has also promulgated 144 CrPC prohibiting assembly of five or more persons from 5AM to 7PM in Dimapur district.
The bandh will end at 6 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'