123 in fray in local body by-polls for village councils
Aizawl: At least 123 candidates, 90 in Aizawl district and 33 in Kolasib district, filed nominations for the by-elections to the 13 village councils in Aizawl district and two village councils in Kolasib on the last date of filing of nominations on Monday.
No nominations were filed earlier for the elections to be held on July 23 as the nominations could be filed since Wednesday last.
The nominees would contest 47 seats in Aizawl district and 10 seats in Kolasib district.
Sources from the area, highly dominated by the Hmar clan, said that the Mizoram Hmar Welfare Committee was appealing to the parties to contest as `Vantlang candidates` (`choice of the people`) without political colours and as a group of independents.
"There were some objections from some political parties causing delays in filing of nominations," the sources said.
Village council polls in the area could not be held along with the rest of the state on February 23, 2012 due to law and order problems and the state election commission`s attempt to hold by-elections in the 15 villages in October last year could not materialise as no one filed nominations to contest the polls despite postponement of date of filing nominations for three times due to boycott call by the Manpiur-based Hmar People`s Convention (Democrats).
The village council by-elections were now announced by the state election commission after the HPC (D) said that the outfit did not have any objections to the VC polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed