18-hour strike cripples normal life in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life was affected in Manipur on Thursday because of an 18-hour general strike called by some major social organistions to protest against kidnapping of a businessman by suspected Naga militants.
Official reports said markets, business houses and entertainment outlets were closed in view of the strike called by the United Committee Manipur (UCM) and All Manipur United Clubs Organisations (AMUCO) from midnight.
Transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were cancelled.
Irungbam Irabanta, a small-time businessman, was abducted from his house at Nongren in Imphal East district on May 27 by suspected Naga militants who demanded a ransom for his safe release.
Attendence in government offices was almost nil due to suspension of transport services, reports said adding that security measures were tightened at vulnerable places to prevent any untoward incident.
Reports from the districts also said normal life was also affected in hill districts with markets and business establishments remaining closed.
Representatives of the UCM, AMUCO and other social organisations recently met state home minister Gaikhangam demanding that the government find out whereabouts of the kidnapped persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog