500 Congress supporters join Trinamool in Tripura
Agartala: The opposition Congress in Tripura on Sunday suffered a jolt as over 500 activists of the party today joined the newly-formed state unit of the Trinamool Congress, party sources said.
"It is only the tip of the iceberg as large numbers of Congress leaders and activists would join the party as it would be able to launch a stringent struggle against the misrule of CPI-M led Left Front government in the state," TMC Chairman Ratan Chakraborty said while welcoming the defected activists of Congress to the party.
Three former ministers of Congress Surajit Dutta, Ratan Chakraborty and Jawhar Saha had joined TMC following discussion with TMC supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in Kolkata last month.
"Now we would tour in entire Tripura so that leaders and activists come forward to join TMC which can play the role of an effective opposition in the state," Chakraborty told reporters.
Sadar district president Tapan Datta and Pradesh Congress committee (PCC) member Subrata Dey, who were among those who joined TMC today, stated that the Congress high command in Delhi has a clandestine understanding with CPI-M and would not like Left Front be ousted from Tripura anytime.
"The Congress in the state is also faction ridden and lack of inner party discipline and it would not be able to oust the CPI-M government from Tripura. We joined the party because we think that it would be an effective opposition in the state," Datta told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Shocking! Death-defying train stunt performed by youngsters in Mumbai - Watch video
- Shooter Heena Sidhu misses out on final berth
- Bangladesh bowling coach: BCB may have expressed interest looking at my credentials, says Venkatesh Prasad
- Congress vs Amitabh Bachchan: Abhishek Bachchan supports father, says Big B not hosting any political event
- Birthday bash! Shah Rukh Khan, Aryan, Navya Naveli turn up at Karan Johar's birthday party – See pics