500 Congress supporters join Trinamool in Tripura
Agartala: The opposition Congress in Tripura on Sunday suffered a jolt as over 500 activists of the party today joined the newly-formed state unit of the Trinamool Congress, party sources said.
"It is only the tip of the iceberg as large numbers of Congress leaders and activists would join the party as it would be able to launch a stringent struggle against the misrule of CPI-M led Left Front government in the state," TMC Chairman Ratan Chakraborty said while welcoming the defected activists of Congress to the party.
Three former ministers of Congress Surajit Dutta, Ratan Chakraborty and Jawhar Saha had joined TMC following discussion with TMC supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in Kolkata last month.
"Now we would tour in entire Tripura so that leaders and activists come forward to join TMC which can play the role of an effective opposition in the state," Chakraborty told reporters.
Sadar district president Tapan Datta and Pradesh Congress committee (PCC) member Subrata Dey, who were among those who joined TMC today, stated that the Congress high command in Delhi has a clandestine understanding with CPI-M and would not like Left Front be ousted from Tripura anytime.
"The Congress in the state is also faction ridden and lack of inner party discipline and it would not be able to oust the CPI-M government from Tripura. We joined the party because we think that it would be an effective opposition in the state," Datta told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened