Army Chief for early decision on raising Strike Corps in northeast
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of Chinese incursion, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh is understood to have pressed the government today for an early decision on a proposal to raise a Strike Corps in the northeast to meet any security threat in the eastern sector.
This issue is believed to have figured when the Army Chief briefed Defence Minister A K Antony on the prevailing security situation along the Line of Actual Control in wake of the recent incursion by Chinese troops in Ladakh, sources said.
The top Army brass made a presentation on the present security situation along the LAC in the aftermath of the recent Chinese incursion and steps taken by the force to prevent and handle such incidents, they said.
The meeting was also attended by top security brass of the country including National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma.
The Army has been pushing for a new Strike Corps to be raised along the border with China for quite some time now but it has been hanging fire due to one reasons or the other.
Under the proposal, Army wants to raise formations including new armoured divisions and artillery brigades along with the China border and the IAF has also been asked to deploy its new assets in support of it.
In the meeting, the Army officials are understood to have told Antony about the changes that have taken place in the security situation after the Chinese incursion and its impact on the Indian Army`s capabilities to monitor its activities there.
The Army had to withdraw from its positions in Chumar area after the incursion by the Chinese troops in Daulat Beg Oldi sector and the stand-off ended after the two sides agreed to move back to the pre-April 15 positions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31