Assam to launch Food Security scheme
Guwahati: Assam government on Tuesday said it would roll out Food Security scheme from November to cover about 2.25 crore people in the state.
"We will roll out Food Security scheme from November 19. In Assam, about 2.25 crore people from around 40 lakh families will benefit from the scheme," Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi told reporters here.
The government will announce the names of the beneficiaries on August 1 and all the disputes regarding inclusion and exclusion of families will be completed by October 2, he added.
"From the rural areas, around 75 per cent of the people will get the benefit, while it will be about 50 per cent in urban locations," Gogoi said.
The chief minister further said to monitor proper implementation of the scheme, the government has formed a Group of Ministers.
As per the scheme, rice will be available at Rs 3 per kg, while wheat and coarse cereals will be offered at Rs 2 and Re 1 respectively for each kg, he added.
Earlier this month, brushing aside political opposition, Centre decided to issue an ordinance to give nation`s two-third population the right to get 5 kg of foodgrain every month at subsidised rates of Rs 1-3 per kg.
The food security programme when implemented will be the biggest in the world with the government spending estimated at Rs 1,25,000 crore annually on supply of about 62 million tonnes of rice, wheat and coarse cereals to 67 per cent of the population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal