Assam to launch Food Security scheme
Guwahati: Assam government on Tuesday said it would roll out Food Security scheme from November to cover about 2.25 crore people in the state.
"We will roll out Food Security scheme from November 19. In Assam, about 2.25 crore people from around 40 lakh families will benefit from the scheme," Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi told reporters here.
The government will announce the names of the beneficiaries on August 1 and all the disputes regarding inclusion and exclusion of families will be completed by October 2, he added.
"From the rural areas, around 75 per cent of the people will get the benefit, while it will be about 50 per cent in urban locations," Gogoi said.
The chief minister further said to monitor proper implementation of the scheme, the government has formed a Group of Ministers.
As per the scheme, rice will be available at Rs 3 per kg, while wheat and coarse cereals will be offered at Rs 2 and Re 1 respectively for each kg, he added.
Earlier this month, brushing aside political opposition, Centre decided to issue an ordinance to give nation`s two-third population the right to get 5 kg of foodgrain every month at subsidised rates of Rs 1-3 per kg.
The food security programme when implemented will be the biggest in the world with the government spending estimated at Rs 1,25,000 crore annually on supply of about 62 million tonnes of rice, wheat and coarse cereals to 67 per cent of the population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO