Assam to launch Food Security scheme
Guwahati: Assam government on Tuesday said it would roll out Food Security scheme from November to cover about 2.25 crore people in the state.
"We will roll out Food Security scheme from November 19. In Assam, about 2.25 crore people from around 40 lakh families will benefit from the scheme," Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi told reporters here.
The government will announce the names of the beneficiaries on August 1 and all the disputes regarding inclusion and exclusion of families will be completed by October 2, he added.
"From the rural areas, around 75 per cent of the people will get the benefit, while it will be about 50 per cent in urban locations," Gogoi said.
The chief minister further said to monitor proper implementation of the scheme, the government has formed a Group of Ministers.
As per the scheme, rice will be available at Rs 3 per kg, while wheat and coarse cereals will be offered at Rs 2 and Re 1 respectively for each kg, he added.
Earlier this month, brushing aside political opposition, Centre decided to issue an ordinance to give nation`s two-third population the right to get 5 kg of foodgrain every month at subsidised rates of Rs 1-3 per kg.
The food security programme when implemented will be the biggest in the world with the government spending estimated at Rs 1,25,000 crore annually on supply of about 62 million tonnes of rice, wheat and coarse cereals to 67 per cent of the population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing