Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back
Agartala: A Bangladeshi trooper and a civilian captured by villagers in Tripura while trying to abduct an Indian farmer from the border area, were handed over to the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) Friday, an official here said.
A Bangladeshi Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) trooper and a civilian were held by some villagers while the duo was trying to kidnap an Indian farmer late Thursday in western Tripura`s Champahaur area, around 120 km from here, a Border Security Force (BSF) spokesman here said.
The RAB trooper, Mohammad Safiqul, and Bangladeshi national Subrata Tanti were later handed over by the villagers to the BSF.
According to villagers, Krishna Narayan Kar was working in his paddy fields outside the border fencing when Safiqul and Tanti tried to abduct him.
"As a goodwill gesture, we (BSF) handed over both the men to BGB officials and have asked them to take legal action against the intruders."
The trooper belongs to the 9th battalion of the RAB.
Earlier on January 21 this year, the BSF had handed over to the Bangladeshi forces BGB personnel Lutfar Rahman, who was caught by some villagers for killing an Indian farmer.
Tripura shares a total of 856-km of border with Bangladesh, some of it unfenced and running through dense forests, making it difficult for Indian security forces to check infiltration.
According to a government official, about 8,750 families comprising over 50,000 people in the state have been affected by the ongoing construction of the barbed wire fencing along the border with Bangladesh. Properties, including fields and ponds of many, have fallen outside the fence.
India is erecting the fence along the 4,095-km India-Bangladesh border in West Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya and Mizoram to check trans-border movement of militants and to prevent infiltration and border crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly