BJP blames Cong for lack of progress in North-East
Guwahati: BJP President Nitin Gadkari on Sunday blamed Congress for the lack of development in the north east and lambasted it for failing to live up to the expectations of the people in Assam despite being in power for 11 years.
"The Congress party`s wrong economic policies and corruption are responsible for the current state of affairs in Assam and the north east," he told newsmen here.
Assam in the first state in the country where power generation has fallen over the years, he said.
Gadkari, who chaired the BJP state executive here yesterday, said its leaders have been directed to work for strengthening the party so that it can emerge as an alternative to Congress in the state, where it will go it alone in the next Lok Sabha polls.
BJP has prepared `vision documents` for development of Assam and the other north eastern states. "Our document is based on analysis of the problems and once we form the government at the Centre we will change the scenario."
Gadkari, who is on a two-day visit to Assam, claimed that certain senior leaders of several regional parties in the NE have expressed their willingness to join the BJP.
"Former union minister Chouba Singh and former Manipur minister Rajan Singh want to join us. I will visit Imphal soon where they will formally join the party," he said adding some prominent figures from Assam politics are also likely to join BJP.
Referring to alliances in the north east in the next general elections, the BJP president said the party had not received any feelers from any party and the state executive committee meeting yesterday discussed ways to strengthen the party`s organisation to prepare for a strong fight in all the Lok Sabha seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore