BJP blames Cong for lack of progress in North-East
Guwahati: BJP President Nitin Gadkari on Sunday blamed Congress for the lack of development in the north east and lambasted it for failing to live up to the expectations of the people in Assam despite being in power for 11 years.
"The Congress party`s wrong economic policies and corruption are responsible for the current state of affairs in Assam and the north east," he told newsmen here.
Assam in the first state in the country where power generation has fallen over the years, he said.
Gadkari, who chaired the BJP state executive here yesterday, said its leaders have been directed to work for strengthening the party so that it can emerge as an alternative to Congress in the state, where it will go it alone in the next Lok Sabha polls.
BJP has prepared `vision documents` for development of Assam and the other north eastern states. "Our document is based on analysis of the problems and once we form the government at the Centre we will change the scenario."
Gadkari, who is on a two-day visit to Assam, claimed that certain senior leaders of several regional parties in the NE have expressed their willingness to join the BJP.
"Former union minister Chouba Singh and former Manipur minister Rajan Singh want to join us. I will visit Imphal soon where they will formally join the party," he said adding some prominent figures from Assam politics are also likely to join BJP.
Referring to alliances in the north east in the next general elections, the BJP president said the party had not received any feelers from any party and the state executive committee meeting yesterday discussed ways to strengthen the party`s organisation to prepare for a strong fight in all the Lok Sabha seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad