BJP for immediate implementation of ILP in Manipur
Imphal: The BJP has demanded immediate implementation of Inner Line Permit (ILP) system in Manipur by passing a separate legislation in the state Assembly.
Enforcement of ILP system in the state was possible without the consent of the central government by passing a legislation in the House, party spokesman S Tikendra told reporters here last evening.
Mizoram and Meghalaya have enforced the system by passing their own legislations in the respective state Assembly, he said.
Various social organisations and students` bodies have been demanding introduction of ILP in the state for quite a long time.
Official sources said the state Assembly had passed a resolution in the ongoing session some days ago to urge the central government to initiate steps for implementation of the ILP system in the state.
A spokesman of the Joint Action Committee on ILP system, which has been spearheading the stir for implementation of the system, said outsiders had outnumbered the total tribal population in the hill districts of the state.
"We are not against the people from other states but steps must be taken to protect the identities of the indigenous people in the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning