BJP for immediate implementation of ILP in Manipur
Imphal: The BJP has demanded immediate implementation of Inner Line Permit (ILP) system in Manipur by passing a separate legislation in the state Assembly.
Enforcement of ILP system in the state was possible without the consent of the central government by passing a legislation in the House, party spokesman S Tikendra told reporters here last evening.
Mizoram and Meghalaya have enforced the system by passing their own legislations in the respective state Assembly, he said.
Various social organisations and students` bodies have been demanding introduction of ILP in the state for quite a long time.
Official sources said the state Assembly had passed a resolution in the ongoing session some days ago to urge the central government to initiate steps for implementation of the ILP system in the state.
A spokesman of the Joint Action Committee on ILP system, which has been spearheading the stir for implementation of the system, said outsiders had outnumbered the total tribal population in the hill districts of the state.
"We are not against the people from other states but steps must be taken to protect the identities of the indigenous people in the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit woe: Pound tumbles, most markets extend losses
- For single women in Maharashtra, owning land can be the difference between life and death
- Gold price climbs 1%, investors seek safe-haven after 'Brexit' vote
- Ranbir Kapoor wants 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' to be his next BIG release?
- LIVE Brexit fallout: Europe triggers sell-off, Sensex falls over 100 points