EC shoots early poll proposal in Meghalaya
Shillong: The Election Commission of India (EC) has shot down a proposal made by Meghalaya government for early poll in the state, official sources said on Thursday.
Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma had met officials of the EC recently in Delhi and proposed that the elections be scheduled in December this year so as to avoid poll activities during Feb-March in view of the budget session usually held during these months.
The Election Commission did not approve our proposal for an early election due to the fact that we have not intimated the EC in advance, Sangma told reporters.
He said they should have worked well ahead of time so as to allow the EC to complete their pre-poll exercises like summary revision of electoral rolls, etc.
According to the Chief Minister, the final electoral draft roll is expected to be out only in January next year.
Asked as to the reasons which compelled him to propose early poll in the state, Mukul said, Our elections are held at the fag-end of the financial year and as the new government forms, it cannot plan and place a full budget.
He said, This has been happening for donkey`s years. We pass vote on account first and then come up with a full budget in a subsequent quarter.
Ideally, February, March should be free from any other activities to allow the government to pass a full-budget on time and review of the performance of the government otherwise the process is bound to affect the developmental programs, Mukul said.
Assembly election in Meghalaya is due in February- March 2013. The state, having 60 seats, went to poll on March 8, 2008 in a single phase.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000