`Festivals give us opportunity for peaceful co-existence`
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki has called upon the people to take full advantage of festivals by forging relationships and inter-mingling for peaceful coexistence that would pave the way for state’s overall development in a congenial atmosphere.
Attending the Reh Festival of the Mishmi community at Teluliang near Tezu in Lohit district yesterday, Tuki said such festivals are great occasions to know each other, mingle and develop a relationship of mutual understanding and respect, official sources said here today.
“Festivals are not only a bridge between us and our traditions but also an occasion to rebuild a society of mutual understanding and trust,” he said and praised the Mishmis - inhabiting Lohit, Dibang Valley, Lower Dibang Valley, Anjaw and upper reaches of Upper Siang district - for sticking to their roots and preserving their rich and colorful traditions.
Tuki however, expressed concern over alienation of youths of some tribes from their cultural roots.
“Most of our youngsters do not even speak their mother tongue. This is not good for our future. It’s our elders’ duty to pass on our rich cultural heritage to our youths. Let our festivals be a gateway to our culture not only for the outside world but our youngsters too,” he said.
The Chief Minister reiterated that the government would always encourage celebration of indigenous festivals of all tribes and to begin with, funds have been placed for celebration of main festivals of all the major tribes of the state, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...