`Festivals give us opportunity for peaceful co-existence`
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki has called upon the people to take full advantage of festivals by forging relationships and inter-mingling for peaceful coexistence that would pave the way for state’s overall development in a congenial atmosphere.
Attending the Reh Festival of the Mishmi community at Teluliang near Tezu in Lohit district yesterday, Tuki said such festivals are great occasions to know each other, mingle and develop a relationship of mutual understanding and respect, official sources said here today.
“Festivals are not only a bridge between us and our traditions but also an occasion to rebuild a society of mutual understanding and trust,” he said and praised the Mishmis - inhabiting Lohit, Dibang Valley, Lower Dibang Valley, Anjaw and upper reaches of Upper Siang district - for sticking to their roots and preserving their rich and colorful traditions.
Tuki however, expressed concern over alienation of youths of some tribes from their cultural roots.
“Most of our youngsters do not even speak their mother tongue. This is not good for our future. It’s our elders’ duty to pass on our rich cultural heritage to our youths. Let our festivals be a gateway to our culture not only for the outside world but our youngsters too,” he said.
The Chief Minister reiterated that the government would always encourage celebration of indigenous festivals of all tribes and to begin with, funds have been placed for celebration of main festivals of all the major tribes of the state, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown