Five militants killed in past 24 hours in Meghalaya
Shillong: Five militants have been killed in the past 24 hours in the insurgency-ridden Garo Hills region in Meghalaya, including two ASAK militants killed in North Garo Hills bordering Assam, a top police official said on Friday.
"Two ASAK (A`chik Songna An`pachakgipa Kotok) militants were killed and six others managed to escape in a fierce gunfight with the Army and Meghalaya Police at Soba Jambal village under Mendipathar police station," Inspector General of Police in-charge of Operations, GHP Raju, told a news agency.
Soba Jambal village, bordering Assam`s Goalpara district, is about 280 km from here.
Two 7.65-mm pistols, three grenades are among the material recovered from the encounter site, the police official said.
Raju said the pre-dawn raid was carried out by a joint team of the Army and Meghalaya police after specific inputs received by the Army about the presence of ASAK militants at Soba Jambal village.
Three militants - two from GNLA and one from ULFA - were killed when security forces busted their makeshift camp at Songma Enggok area in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie