GNLA calls off bandh after public outcry
Shillong: The Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) on Monday called off their 300 hours "dawn to dusk" bandh in the Garo Hills region after a huge public outcry against their one week bandh in the three districts last week.
In a release to the media houses, the self styled "C-in-C" of the militant outfit, Sohan D Shira said the bandh will be temporarily postponed after it ended today at 6 pm due to people`s plea to the outfit to end their agitation.
However, Shira warned of a more aggressive agitation if the government does not stop the counter insurgency operations launched by the police against the outfit and its camps.
The bandh which completes more than 150 hours today was called by the militant outfit demanding halt of counter insurgency operations against the outfit and its camps.
In a public rally held in East Garo Hills headquarter of Williamnagar yesterday, there was public outcry against the showdown between the militants and the government.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma today rushed by chopper to Tura in the Garo Hills to thank the people for their support and courage and to review the situation there.
The CM has assured all possible help and sought people`s support to bringing peace and development in the region.
In a statement, Meghalaya Pradesh Congress Committee president and chief adviser to the state government D D Lapang lauded Mukul Sangma for instilling a sense of confidence in the minds of the people which ultimately made them to take a bold step to come out against the GNLA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015