Indefinite strike temporarily suspended in Manipur
Imphal: In view of the ensuing Christmas celebrations, the Manipur Film Forum (MFF) on Sunday night suspended till December 26 the indefinite state-wide strike called to protest the alleged molestation of a Manipuri actress.
"We are suspending the strike from this midnight till December 26 in view of Christmas celebrations as we received requests from general public," President of Manipur Film Forum, Surjakanta Sharma said over phone.
The strike, having entered the second day today, had been earlier called demanding the arrest of NSCN(IM) ultra Livingstone Anal for publicly molesting Manipuri actress Momoko during a musical concert in Chandel district on December 18.
Meanwhile, curfew was in force in Imphal East and West districts following violence in the wake of death of a journalist of a private TV channel during police firing at Thangmeiband on restive supporters of the indefinite general strike.
Thangjam Nanao Singh, 29, a reporter of `Prime Time` channel received bullet wounds on his chest when police opened fire to disperse bandh supporters who torched the vehicle of the officer-in-charge of Lamphel police station.
He succumbed to injuries at the Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters