Involvement of police in NCTC must: Gogoi
Guwahati: Voicing his support for amendments in the Centre`s proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today favoured an "active role" of the police in it.
"Some amendments are necessary and the police has to play a pro-active role in the entire set up", Gogoi told a press conference here.
Admitting that growing presence of Maoists was a cause for concern, the chief minister said a "special cell" of Assam police under the rank of IGP will be soon set up.
"Their (Maoists) presence is a cause for concern and we will set up a special cell of the police to deal with the rebels", he said.
"Special training is necessary for the police force to deal with the Maoists and for that matter even the banned ULFA", he said stressing that development was a must in the backward areas.
"They (Maoists) are taking advantage of under development and seek the sympathies of the poor villages. This trend should be changed and we have to bring in development in the villages", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state