Involvement of police in NCTC must: Gogoi
Guwahati: Voicing his support for amendments in the Centre`s proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today favoured an "active role" of the police in it.
"Some amendments are necessary and the police has to play a pro-active role in the entire set up", Gogoi told a press conference here.
Admitting that growing presence of Maoists was a cause for concern, the chief minister said a "special cell" of Assam police under the rank of IGP will be soon set up.
"Their (Maoists) presence is a cause for concern and we will set up a special cell of the police to deal with the rebels", he said.
"Special training is necessary for the police force to deal with the Maoists and for that matter even the banned ULFA", he said stressing that development was a must in the backward areas.
"They (Maoists) are taking advantage of under development and seek the sympathies of the poor villages. This trend should be changed and we have to bring in development in the villages", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena