Involvement of police in NCTC must: Gogoi
Guwahati: Voicing his support for amendments in the Centre`s proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today favoured an "active role" of the police in it.
"Some amendments are necessary and the police has to play a pro-active role in the entire set up", Gogoi told a press conference here.
Admitting that growing presence of Maoists was a cause for concern, the chief minister said a "special cell" of Assam police under the rank of IGP will be soon set up.
"Their (Maoists) presence is a cause for concern and we will set up a special cell of the police to deal with the rebels", he said.
"Special training is necessary for the police force to deal with the Maoists and for that matter even the banned ULFA", he said stressing that development was a must in the backward areas.
"They (Maoists) are taking advantage of under development and seek the sympathies of the poor villages. This trend should be changed and we have to bring in development in the villages", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore