Involvement of police in NCTC must: Gogoi
Guwahati: Voicing his support for amendments in the Centre`s proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today favoured an "active role" of the police in it.
"Some amendments are necessary and the police has to play a pro-active role in the entire set up", Gogoi told a press conference here.
Admitting that growing presence of Maoists was a cause for concern, the chief minister said a "special cell" of Assam police under the rank of IGP will be soon set up.
"Their (Maoists) presence is a cause for concern and we will set up a special cell of the police to deal with the rebels", he said.
"Special training is necessary for the police force to deal with the Maoists and for that matter even the banned ULFA", he said stressing that development was a must in the backward areas.
"They (Maoists) are taking advantage of under development and seek the sympathies of the poor villages. This trend should be changed and we have to bring in development in the villages", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why