Involvement of police in NCTC must: Gogoi
Guwahati: Voicing his support for amendments in the Centre`s proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today favoured an "active role" of the police in it.
"Some amendments are necessary and the police has to play a pro-active role in the entire set up", Gogoi told a press conference here.
Admitting that growing presence of Maoists was a cause for concern, the chief minister said a "special cell" of Assam police under the rank of IGP will be soon set up.
"Their (Maoists) presence is a cause for concern and we will set up a special cell of the police to deal with the rebels", he said.
"Special training is necessary for the police force to deal with the Maoists and for that matter even the banned ULFA", he said stressing that development was a must in the backward areas.
"They (Maoists) are taking advantage of under development and seek the sympathies of the poor villages. This trend should be changed and we have to bring in development in the villages", he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'