Jarbom Gamlin sworn in as Arunchal CM
Itanagar: Jarbom Gamlin was on Thursday night sworn in
as Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh replacing Dorjee Khandu
who was killed in a helicopter crash.
Gamlin, 50, who was Power Minister in Khandu cabinet,
was administered oath of office and secrecy by Governor J J
Singh at the Raj Bhavan.
A student of history and law of Delhi University, he
was one of the front runners for the chief minister`s post as
a CLP meeting earlier in the day authorised Congress President
Sonia Gandhi to choose the new leader.
Other contenders were Arunachal Pradesh Congress
Committee (APCC) president and PWD Minister Nabam Tuki,
Finance Minister Setong Sena and RWD Minister Kalikho Pul.
A CLP meeting, at which top Congress leaders, including
union ministers BK Handique, V Narayansamy, Mukul Wasnik and
Salman Khursheed were present, failed to arrive at a consensus
and sent a one-line resolution to the Congress President to
choose the CLP leader.
A senior party leader said on condition of anonymity
that Congress legislators were interviewed individually
by top leaders, including Handique, Narayansamy, Wasnik and
Earlier in the day indication of the installation of a
new chief minister came from Home Minister P Chidambaram who
told reporters in Delhi that the state Governor had been asked
to take "necessary consequential steps".
The swearing in of Gamlin, a leader of powerful All
Arunachal Pradesh Students Union in early 1980s, came several
hours after the body of Khandu, who died in the copter crash
along with four others in Tawang district, arrived here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31