Landslides cut off road communication in Tirap
Itanagar: Landslides triggered by torrential rain has snapped surface communication in Tirap district of Arunachal Pradesh since last several days, official sources said here on Wednesday.
Road communication between the district headquarters Khonsa and Lazu, an administrative post situated on Myanmar border, about 40 km from Khonsa, has remained cut off for the last three days following torrential rain-triggered massive landslides at Pongkong village along Khonsa-Lazu road, the sources said.
The entire hillock, on which the Khonsa-Lazu road is located, has caved in and is sliding all the time. The Border Road Task Force (BRTF) personnel are working round the clock to restore normal traffic but the unrelenting rain is hampering restoration work, they said.
There is an acute shortage of essential commodities at Lazu and its peripheries due to the road blockade. Entire Lazu circle depends on Khonsa for the daily requirements like rice, atta, sugar, salt and other essential items.
Circle Officer (CO) N L Naam visited the landslide-hit zone, 14 km off Lazu today to assess the extent of damage.
The CO also apprised the local MLA and Parliamentary Secretary for Department of Tirap and Changlang (DoTC) Yumsen Matey on the grim situation, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday