Large number of weapons found in Manipur: Police
Imphal: Security forces have found a large number of weapons from the interiors of Bishenpur district in Manipur, police said on Thursday.
During a massive search operation, the security forces found sophisticated weapons including one AK 56 and one AK 47 rifle, one rocket launcher, one point 2 rifle, three revolvers and hundreds of ammunitions of different types from Karong lake area in the district yesterday, they said.
Police said that the area was earlier infested by major insurgent groups, including United National Liberation Front, Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup and Peoples Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak but they had been successfully driven out by the security forces in the past few months.
The security forces would continue to operate in the area till all the insurgents are driven out from Loktak lake and Karong lake area, they said.
Loktak, about 45 km south from here, is the largest fresh water lake in north eastern India with small islands including Karang, where insurgents have operated for several years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'