Large number of weapons found in Manipur: Police
Imphal: Security forces have found a large number of weapons from the interiors of Bishenpur district in Manipur, police said on Thursday.
During a massive search operation, the security forces found sophisticated weapons including one AK 56 and one AK 47 rifle, one rocket launcher, one point 2 rifle, three revolvers and hundreds of ammunitions of different types from Karong lake area in the district yesterday, they said.
Police said that the area was earlier infested by major insurgent groups, including United National Liberation Front, Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup and Peoples Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak but they had been successfully driven out by the security forces in the past few months.
The security forces would continue to operate in the area till all the insurgents are driven out from Loktak lake and Karong lake area, they said.
Loktak, about 45 km south from here, is the largest fresh water lake in north eastern India with small islands including Karang, where insurgents have operated for several years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'