Manik Sarkar again refuses to don convocation robe
Agartala: Throwing protocol to the winds for the second time, Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar Thursday refused to wear the regulation gown at the Tripura University convocation.
"The Chief Minister refused to put on the convocation gown. We can`t force him to wear it," a university official told reporters.
Sarkar, along with Vice President Hamid Ansari, Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, Tripura Governor DY Patil, Union Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal, university chancellor Amiya Kumar Bagchi, vice chancellor Arunoday Saha, and other dignitaries took part in the ceremonial academic procession before the 9th convocation of the Tripura central university.
While Sarkar sported a kurta-pajama all the others wore the convocation gown.
Sarkar, 63, who has been the Chief Minister of Tripura since 1998, refused to comment on the issue.
In September 2010 also, the Communist Party of India-Marxist politburo member turned down the university`s request to wear the regulation robe during its 8th convocation.
In April 2010, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh, while attending the convocation of the Indian Institute of Forest Management in Bhopal had also refused to wear the convocation gown.
"I still have not been able to figure out after more than six decades of India`s independence that why we stick to these barbaric colonial relics," Ramesh had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown