Manipur: Grenade attack at editor`s house
Imphal: Days after a militant group threatened senior journalists of Manipur, unidentified men exploded a grenade at the residence of A Mobi, the editor of vernacular daily `Sanaleibak` and president of the All Manipur Working Journalists` Union (AMWJU), the police said on Sunday.
However, no casualty or injury was reported.
The militants fled after hurling the grenade at around 9 pm last night when Mobi was present at the house.
An AMWJU spokesman said a militant group, the name of which was being withheld, had issued a press statement a few days ago threatening certain individuals after levelling charges against them and wanted media houses to publish it.
As the statement was against the guidelines of the Press Council of India, media houses refused to publish it angering the outfit that threatened journalists with dire consequences for disobeying their diktat, he said.
After the grenade attack, a team of editors and senior journalists went to Home Minister Gaikhangam`s residence late last night and apprised him of the incident.
Gaikhangam asked the police to nab the culprits but they were yet to be arrested, the spokesman said adding that scribes have condemned the incident at an emergency meeting.
Official sources said security measures were tightened at media houses and residential areas of the editors following instruction from the home minister.
The AMWJU spokesman said several editors of local dailies received e-mails by this particular outfit cautioning them to be careful while moving on the roads.
Other militant outfits had also issued threats to media houses if their statements were not published, he said. AMWJU appealed to all concerned including militant outfits to stop victimising the media and allow its smooth functioning in a congenial atmosphere, he said.
An unidentified caller last week had informed two media houses that bombs had been planted at their premises but nothing was found during search.
About 10 days ago, another militant group threatened the editors to shoot them for not publishing their statement.
Conflict between militants and the media had led to non-publication of newspapers several times in the past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly