Meghalaya CM asked to appear in court
Shillong: An anti-graft organisation has
dared Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma and the State
Vigilance Commissioner to participate at the second public
hearing on the anomalies found in the Rural Housing Scheme.
Meghalaya Right to Information Movement, using RTI, had
found fault with the state government and supplier last year
regarding the supply of substandard Corrugated Galvanised Iron
(CGI) sheets during the period between 2003 and 2006.
"The pilferage percentage under the scheme is a massive
52.12 per cent of the total Rs 19,34,81,221 spent in the
purchase of CGI sheets," MRTIM convener Michael Syiem said.
"The public hearing is aimed at following up to the last
public hearing held in May last year."
The second public hearing will be held November 24 in the
Based on the RTI findings, the MRTIM had complained to
the government and demanded that the government initiate an
independent inquiry into the scam.
The Chief Minister and the Housing Department had
rejected the findings to which the MRTIM followed up with more
RTI queries to substantiate their earlier claims.
The State Vigilance Commissioner and other government
officers and Suppliers were invited to share their point of
views at the public hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees