Meghalaya Dy Speaker to be summoned by EC
Shillong: The Election Commission of India (ECI) is likely to summon Meghalaya Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai for allegedly violating election model code of conduct, official sources said on Sunday.
East Khasi Hills district administration last evening had to rush to the scene where the city MLA was distributing utility items like blankets, plastic chairs, tables under MLA scheme to the beneficiaries at Raid Laban college campus.
While all the items were seized, the district administration has been asked to file a report on the same for which the MLA could face legal prosecution, sources said.
"I am waiting for an official report from the Additional District Magistrate who had gone to the scene; based on which the MLA is likely to be asked to show cause (and explain as to why legal actions should not be taken against him)," East Khasi Hills district deputy commissioner Sanjay Goyal said.
The model code of conduct came into force on Friday evening immediately after it was announced that the Assembly elections for Meghalaya would be held on February 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed