Meghalaya Dy Speaker to be summoned by EC
Shillong: The Election Commission of India (ECI) is likely to summon Meghalaya Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai for allegedly violating election model code of conduct, official sources said on Sunday.
East Khasi Hills district administration last evening had to rush to the scene where the city MLA was distributing utility items like blankets, plastic chairs, tables under MLA scheme to the beneficiaries at Raid Laban college campus.
While all the items were seized, the district administration has been asked to file a report on the same for which the MLA could face legal prosecution, sources said.
"I am waiting for an official report from the Additional District Magistrate who had gone to the scene; based on which the MLA is likely to be asked to show cause (and explain as to why legal actions should not be taken against him)," East Khasi Hills district deputy commissioner Sanjay Goyal said.
The model code of conduct came into force on Friday evening immediately after it was announced that the Assembly elections for Meghalaya would be held on February 23.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!