Meghalaya: Garo outfit calls 10-day bandh
Shillong: Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) has called a 10-day bandh in the three districts of western Meghalaya demanding withdrawal of operations against
the militant group.
GNLA leader Kakam D Shira told reporters over telephone that the group will impose the bandh from October 10 to 14 and from October 17 to 21.
He said the outfit will not withdraw the bandh call unless the government stops operations against their cadre.
Chief Minister Mukul Sangma said the government would not buckle under the pressure tactics of the outfit and full force would be used to neutralise the militant group.
"The purpose of the bandh is to pressure the government to stop the operations. But the government will not bow down to the pressure," Sangma told a TV channel.
He said, "The people should understand the intention of the outfit which is indulging in extortion, killings and kidnappings."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre