Meghalaya hospitals told to fit safety tools
Shillong: Following the AMRI hospital
disaster in Kolkata, Meghalaya government today directed the
state hospitals to install facilities for the safety of
patients and personnel in the event of an emergency.
Terming AMRI incident where 93 persons, mostly
patients, were died of asphyxiation earlier this month as an
eye-opener, Additional Deputy Commissioner D M Wahlang said,
"It is important that we have every safety plan in place in
any case of an emergency."
This was more important for the North East as the
entire region lies in seismic zone 5, areas with the highest
risks of earthquakes, Wahlang said "having fire safety and
emergency response team in place are of prime importance."
He had a meeting with representatives from at least 10
private hospitals at his office during the day to discuss how
to improve safety measures.
The hospital authorities have consented to have fire
alarms and smoke detectors installed at each room of every
floors, he said.
"We will write to each hospital to have special teams
from the fire department and the electrical department of the
PWD to inspect their infrastructure," Wahlang said.
Woodland Hospital managing director W Kharshiing said,
"The government should come up with guidelines for hospitals,
especially those who are in the pipeline, to stick to strict
Other suggestions by hospitals included training of
staff on safety in an emergency situation, regular drill,
having bright indicators on the floor to guide patients to the
exit and forming an expert panel to set guidelines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations