Meghalaya hospitals told to fit safety tools
Shillong: Following the AMRI hospital
disaster in Kolkata, Meghalaya government today directed the
state hospitals to install facilities for the safety of
patients and personnel in the event of an emergency.
Terming AMRI incident where 93 persons, mostly
patients, were died of asphyxiation earlier this month as an
eye-opener, Additional Deputy Commissioner D M Wahlang said,
"It is important that we have every safety plan in place in
any case of an emergency."
This was more important for the North East as the
entire region lies in seismic zone 5, areas with the highest
risks of earthquakes, Wahlang said "having fire safety and
emergency response team in place are of prime importance."
He had a meeting with representatives from at least 10
private hospitals at his office during the day to discuss how
to improve safety measures.
The hospital authorities have consented to have fire
alarms and smoke detectors installed at each room of every
floors, he said.
"We will write to each hospital to have special teams
from the fire department and the electrical department of the
PWD to inspect their infrastructure," Wahlang said.
Woodland Hospital managing director W Kharshiing said,
"The government should come up with guidelines for hospitals,
especially those who are in the pipeline, to stick to strict
Other suggestions by hospitals included training of
staff on safety in an emergency situation, regular drill,
having bright indicators on the floor to guide patients to the
exit and forming an expert panel to set guidelines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog