Meghalaya promises security to govt offices ahead of four-day shutdown
Shillong: Meghalaya government today assured adequate security to government offices including financial institutions operating in the state ahead of the four-day shutdown called by militant outfits in the Khasi Jaintia Hills region.
The government has also warned of taking stern action against employees who refused to attend work during the proposed shutdown which would be effective from tomorrow.
"We have assured security to all organizations operating in different parts of the state," State Chief Secretary P B O Warjri told reporters here after taking stock of the situation with top government officials including bank officials.
The banned Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) had called for a four-day shutdown of all government offices (both state and central) beginning tomorrow, on May 9, 12, and 13 demanding immediate and unconditional release of five persons including an NGO leader who were arrested recently for alleged nexus with the outfit.
"We told them things are normal and expected that all institutions should function normally," the Chief Secretary said.
Representatives from different central and financial institutions including the North Eastern Council (NEC), BSNL, Accountant General (AG) and others have also given positive response towards this end, he said.
The state government has issued strict directions to all employees of the different state departments to ensure work should go on normally, failing which they will be "penalized".
"A circular has been issued to all government employees of the state that nobody should skip work during these days failing which they would be penalized as per rules and norms," Warjri said.
HANM president Lamphrang Kharbani along with four others were arrested from Rangthong, a remote border village in South West Khasi Hills District for their alleged nexus with the HNLC. A demand note of the HNLC was also recovered from Kharbani`s possession.
The four others have been identified as Shynshar Thongni of Domskhen of Mawkyrwat, Barless Nongsiej of Mawkyrwat, Mighter N Marwein of Mawlai Motsyiar and Bryan Tongwah of Mawlai Mawdatbaki Dongpata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof