Militant shot dead in Meghalaya encounter
Shillong: Security forces have shot dead a Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militant in Meghalaya’s South West Garo Hills district in an encounter, the police said Sunday.
The slain militant identified as L Sangma was shot dead in an encounter at Salmanpara village with the security forces yesterday, they said
A second militant surrendered before them.
The incident took place after police nabbed a militant sympathizer S Sangma when he had come to West Garo Hills district headquarter, Tura, to buy a cell phone for the senior militants at Salmanpara.
Having Sangma in their custody, the Meghalaya’s Swift Weapons and Tactics commandos left for Salmanpara where the other militants were hiding in the sympathiser’s house, police said.
According to the police, when they approached the house, the militants opened fire forcing the commandos to retaliate killing one of them. Another militant came forward to surrender and the third one escaped unhurt.
An AK 47 rifle, about 40 rounds of ammunition, 5 detonators and important documents were recovered from the encounter site, police said.
Meanwhile, the police confiscated Rs 4.5 lakh from the GNLA militants after they extorted the money from several hardware shops in East Garo Hills district headquarter, Williamnagar.
Acting on a tip-off, police laid a trap at the store in which the militants were supposed to collect the extorted money, they said.
Two junior rank militants -- Elizer Marak and Tangsengbirth Ch Momin -- were arrested and upon interrogation, they said the amount collected from the shops were to be handed over to their new area commander Jimmy Ch Momin.
The GNLA, whose chairman is under judicial custody after his arrest in July this year, is an outlawed organization involved in killing, extortion and kidnapping of businessmen and government officials for ransom.
The GNLA is active in all the five Garo Hills districts of Meghalaya and pockets of West and South West Khasi Hills districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling