Minister hopes Manipuris will soon return to work
Imphal: Manipur Home Minister Gaikhangam on Wednesday expressed hope that students and workers from the Northeastern region, who fled southern states following Assam violence, would go back to their workplaces without fear.
He also noted that the situation in southern cities was returning to normal.
Since the issue of exodus of Northeastern people from south Indian states following the recent Assam violence was of a "sensitive nature", precautionary measures have been taken in the state to avoid misunderstanding between and amongst communities, the minister said.
Police posts have been asked to remain alert with hundreds of students and professionals arriving home, he said.
Official sources said it was necessary to take extra precautions though those returning home were unlikely to create any problem in the region.
Gaikhangam said the state government would assist the family of 21-year-old Manipuri student Md. Sarif Ahmed, who was among six persons thrown out of a running train from Bangalore to Guwahati by unidentified people near New Jalpaiguiri in West Bengal.
Ahmed`s body arrived here yesterday.
Meanwhile, prohibitory orders under section 144 Cr P C were imposed throughout Thoubal district where there is a sizeable population of Muslims, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble