Mob chase Assam Rifles personnel in Manipur
Imphal: A mob in Jiribam chased a team of 22nd battalion Assam Rifles personnel coming to hand over an arrested person to Manipur Police who the local people claimed was an innocent civilian, police said on Wednesday.
Police burst tear gas shells to disperse the mob. No injuries were reported during the incident.
Enraged locals of Jiribam town near Assam, about 222 km west of here, chased Assam Rifles personnel in their vehicles while they were coming to hand over Moirangthem Bijen (40) whom they had picked up for questioning on Monday from Jiribam yesterday.
The mob stopped the vehicles and dragged out Bijen who was allegedly severely beaten up while in custody of the Assam Rifles personnel, official sources said.
The local people then turned on Assam Rifles personnel and became violent, sources said adding that police burst tear gas shells to disperse the mob but no one was injured.
Since the situation became tense, the additional deputy commissioner of Jiribam Y Iboyaima and additional superintendent of police O Major rushed to the spot and held talks with the local public leaders, official reports from Jiribam said adding that the enraged people were later dispersed by the police.
Shops and markets were closed for several hours yesterday due to the incident, reports said.
Meanwhile, Bijen was taken to Jiribam government hospital where his condition remained serious, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof