Tripura Congress jolted as 32 leaders quit
Agartala: Ahead of assembly elections in Tripura, the Congress received a jolt with 32 tribal leaders quitting Wednesday and fielding their own candidates.
The party`s tribal department chairman Phani Bhusan Bhowmik and general secretary Debabrata Koloi were among the 32 who sent their resignations to Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
The dissident tribal Congress leaders have fielded candidates in 21 Assembly segments, including 18 seats reserved for tribals.
Last week, Congress general secretary Oscar Fernandes announced the nomination of 48 candidates for the state`s 60-member assembly. Eleven seats were allocated to long-time ally INPT.
Of the 60 seats in Tripura, 20 are reserved for tribals and 10 for Dalits. Of the 30 reserved seats, the Congress-INPT alliance had won only one seat in 2008.
Meanwhile, Congress leaders and workers in 15 places in Tripura continued their revolt demanding changes in nominations for assembly elections.
Tripura Congress president Sudip Roy Barman said the nominations would not be changed.
Meanwhile, despite the bickering between the Trinamool Congress and the Congress in West Bengal, the former will support the latter in the ensuing elections.
"We will not field candidates against the Congress. We don`t want to split the non-Left votes," Trinamool Congress state chairman Arun Chandra Bhowmik told a news agency.
Tripura, the country`s lone Left-ruled state, is set for polling Feb 14. Meghalaya and Nagaland will go to the polls Feb 23. Results in all three states will be announced Feb 28.
The assemblies in Meghalaya, Tripura and Nagaland have 60 seats each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues