Naga peace talks in Delhi today
New Delhi/Kohima: NSCN(IM) and government`s interlocutor will hold the next round of peace talks in the national capital on Thursday to find a lasting solution to the vexed insurgency problem in Nagaland.
Top leadership of NSCN(IM) led by chairman Isak Chishi Swu and general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah will meet interlocutor RS Pandey and discuss various issues concerning the demands of the Naga rebel group.
Before leaving Kohima, Swu refused to speculate whether the outcome of the talks would be positive. "We cannot say anything," he said.
However, Muivah "blamed" the government for "failing" to solve the protracted "Indo-Naga political problem".
"We are waiting for the government`s response and we are ready from our side. We want a solution as soon as possible," he said.
Muivah alleged that many opportunities were lost due to delay in the talks, which has been going on since 1997, and accused the Centre of applying "delay tactics".
When contacted, Pandey admitted that the peace talks have been going on for "quite some time" but refused to say anything on delay.
"Yes, they are out quite some time. We will meet tomorrow and exchange our views," he told a news agency.
NSCN(IM) entered into truce with the Government of India in 1997 and since then more than 80 rounds of talks were held between the Centre and the NSCN led by Swu and Muivah without concrete outcome in the last 16 years of truce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway