No proposal to change leadership in Meghalaya: Pranab
Shillong: In a jolt to Congress dissidents demanding removal of Meghalaya Chief Minister DD Lapang, senior Congress leader Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday ruled out any leadership change in the state.
"As of now there is no proposal for any leadership change," Mukherjee told a news agency against the backdrop of 16 Congress MLAs demanding ministerial berths and Lapang’s ouster.
"The Congress party is capable of taking care of such crisis," he said when asked about the revolt.
Lapang met the Union Finance Minister at Raj Bhavan late last evening, but it was not clear if they discussed the present political turmoil in the state.
The 16 rebel Congress MLAs have been camping in New
Delhi for the last few days demanding leadership change in the
state, besides accommodation of senior MLAs in the ministry by
dropping independents and the lone MLA belonging to Khun
Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement (KHNAM).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test