No proposal to change leadership in Meghalaya: Pranab
Shillong: In a jolt to Congress dissidents demanding removal of Meghalaya Chief Minister DD Lapang, senior Congress leader Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday ruled out any leadership change in the state.
"As of now there is no proposal for any leadership change," Mukherjee told a news agency against the backdrop of 16 Congress MLAs demanding ministerial berths and Lapang’s ouster.
"The Congress party is capable of taking care of such crisis," he said when asked about the revolt.
Lapang met the Union Finance Minister at Raj Bhavan late last evening, but it was not clear if they discussed the present political turmoil in the state.
The 16 rebel Congress MLAs have been camping in New
Delhi for the last few days demanding leadership change in the
state, besides accommodation of senior MLAs in the ministry by
dropping independents and the lone MLA belonging to Khun
Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement (KHNAM).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months