No proposal to open up Nathu La for tourism: Selja
Gangtok: There is no proposal to open up the Sino-India frontier at Nathu La for tourism purposes but the Centre has relaxed the guidelines under the Restricted Area Permit for domestic tourists, Union Tourism Minister Kumari Selja said on Sunday.
The Inner Line Permit for foreign tourists in Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh has also been relaxed to provide extended stay for visitors, she said.
The relaxation of protected area, restricted area and inner line permit regime will boost tourist inflow, she added.
Selja`s statement comes as a dampener for Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling, who has been repeatedly asking the Centre to consider opening up Nathu La for international tourists.
Chamling had said the opening of Nathu La corridor for tourism will bring in much-needed domestic revenue to the border state, and at the same time will cement bilateral relations between the country and China.
The Chief Minister had earlier succeeded in persuading the Centre to reopen bilateral trade at Nathu La three years ago after a gap of 44 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’