No proposal to open up Nathu La for tourism: Selja
Gangtok: There is no proposal to open up the Sino-India frontier at Nathu La for tourism purposes but the Centre has relaxed the guidelines under the Restricted Area Permit for domestic tourists, Union Tourism Minister Kumari Selja said on Sunday.
The Inner Line Permit for foreign tourists in Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh has also been relaxed to provide extended stay for visitors, she said.
The relaxation of protected area, restricted area and inner line permit regime will boost tourist inflow, she added.
Selja`s statement comes as a dampener for Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling, who has been repeatedly asking the Centre to consider opening up Nathu La for international tourists.
Chamling had said the opening of Nathu La corridor for tourism will bring in much-needed domestic revenue to the border state, and at the same time will cement bilateral relations between the country and China.
The Chief Minister had earlier succeeded in persuading the Centre to reopen bilateral trade at Nathu La three years ago after a gap of 44 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report