Northeast militants getting arms from China, Myanmar: BSF
Shillong: Militants in the northeastern region continue to receive "substantial quantity" of illegal arms and ammunition from China and Myanmar, a senior Border Security Force official said Tuesday.
"There are isolated instances of arms and ammunition entering into the country across the international border with Bangladesh, but a substantial quantity was coming from the international border with Myanmar and China," Sudesh Kumar, inspector general of BSF in-charge of Meghalaya frontier, told journalists.
"Unlike in the western frontier, where manning of the border is much easier due to the topography, guarding the eastern frontier is much more difficult owing to the hilly rugged and mountainous terrain as well as poor visibility (that) adds to the woes of our troopers," he said.
Kumar, who looks after the 443-km International Border with Bangladesh, said his troopers give their best in guarding the border and prevent cross-border crimes and infiltration of militants from Bangladesh into India.
Most of these illicit arms and ammunition from Myanmar and China were transhipped to Dimapur, the main commercial town in Nagaland bordering Assam, and thereafter smuggled out to other states in the country.
"On several occasions, the Unified Command and Assam Rifles have intercepted huge consignment of arms and ammunition in Assam which were meant for rebel outfits operating in Meghalaya," Kumar said.
Stating that fencing of the India-Bangladesh border cannot be the only deterrent to check the flow of arms and ammunition and the infiltration of militants and Bangladeshi nationals from across the border, Kumar said the BSF has intensified its vigilance along the India-Bangladesh border. Also troopers are being equipped with modern electronic gadgets in the most vulnerable areas.
Quoting intelligence inputs, Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma recently said a huge quantity of arms is now available across the northeast.
"Where are these guns coming from? That means there is some formidable anti-national force working overtime, and that is why these guns and explosives are coming. This needs to be addressed jointly by all the state governments and the Centre," Sangma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in