Northeast people to light candles to honour Modi
Guwahati: Thousands of people from the northeast will light candles in their homes and offices across the country to show their respect for Narendra Modi as he takes oath as India`s new prime minister Monday.
Mohen Naorem, a filmmaker from Manipur, has launched an initiative called "MODIfied Northeast India" and has appealed to all northeastern communities living across the country and other parts of the world to light candles at 6 p.m. Monday when Modi takes oath of office at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
"The victory of Narendra Modi and the Bharatiya Janata Party is the victory of the northeastern states as well. We, the northeasterners, need him more than any other region. To support and encourage a cordial relationship with the leader, we have formed this initiative," Naorem said.
He said the forum will try to bridge the gap between the northeast and the other parts of the country and will prepare a vision document for the region for the prime minister.
More than 10,000 volunteers across various cities like Delhi, Pune and Bangalore will take part in the event, he said.
He said the motive was to celebrate and "welcome the good days that are coming".
"We have requested the people to take a photograph of lighting up their houses or offices and send it to us at the email id - email@example.com. One can also send us a wish to the prime minister along with the photograph," Naorem said.
"We are going to send those to the prime minister. We want to make sure that the prime minister ushers in development in the northeastern states on the lines of Gujarat," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune